Sunday, March 14, 2010

The dawning of the light.

I used to think that those kitchen utensils, trays, towels, bins etc with names like Bread, Poultry, Tea, Sugar etc were made because they were cute, country kitsch, vintage and homey. Sometimes I'd roll my eyes at how mundane some of them could be, but on the whole, they were always cute (although I never bought any cuz I'm not a cute, country kitsch, homey design collector).

Image courtesy of someone's Flickr page - sorry, forgot to look before I closed the window. Heh.

Anyway, as I was saying - I used to think it was a cute, homey idea until this morning, while washing the mountain of dishes from last night. I was thinking back to a few days ago when I was cutting chicken.

Schrobbenmaster: You know, normally, I use the green board for cutting vegetables and the white board for cutting meat.
Me: Oh (nearly finished with cutting the chicken on the green board by this time).

I had actually remembered that there was something to do with a green and a white board when I was choosing which boards. Then I thought, maybe he had said not to use the white board because it was already quite scratched up and maybe bits of food could get stuck in the grooves. Hence my pick of the green board.

As I was remembering that conversation this morning, I was thinking of ways to help me not forget mundane things like that. I told myself, 'Well, green board makes sense for cutting green veggies'. But obviously I didn't remember that a few days ago. 'Maybe we need to label these boards...'

*Ding ding ding!* It suddenly dawned on me.

'Omg, I think I'm getting old! I need to actually LABEL silly things like these!'

That's when I saw the light, the intelligence, the foresight of these people making pre-labelled jars, towels, cutlery etc. It's not just for fun, it's a necessity!

It's one less thing to have to think about in the kitchen, it's less time taken to figure out which board to use and it frees up brainpower so you can ponder other important things like, 'Is this chicken or tuna?'.

1 comment:

schola said...

opps .. hahah sign of aging