Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Puteri Gunung Ledang

I watched Puteri Gunung Ledang two weekends ago. It was the last show of the season and very well done. I really appreciated the subtitles at the side of the stage, because I could hardly understand anything they were saying! Flowery Malay language and Bahasa Indonesia can be really difficult to follow.

Tiara Jacquelina was amazing, with a really beautiful voice... can't say the same for Stephen Hughes, unfortunately, who showed more personality and charisma in the last 20 seconds of the show when he was bowing and showing some breakdance moves to the thunderous applause than in his whole performance as Hang Tuah. But the person who truly stood out for me was AC Mizal as Gusti Adipati. I'd always thought he was some silly idiot on his AC Di Sini TV show and commercials, but watching this show, within the first few seconds of his appearance onstage, I was thinking, "Wow, who's this guy? He's really brilliant!" And he had oodles and oodles of charisma even from where I was sitting (which was the length of two football fields away).

Anyway, the music was really good, singing was brilliant... only thing was that the love scenes tended to drag on for too long, making me feel a little bored. Cuz obviously we know you're in love, could you please stop singing so many five minute songs to show it?

Next season is a must-watch for those who haven't seen it. I don't know who's taking over Tiara's place as Gusti Puteri, but I'm sure she'll be just as brilliantly cast.

No comments: