Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Malaysia: Holiday in Penang

It was Schrobbenmaster's first visit to Penang, our heritage island up north, but he had absent-mindedly left his camera back in KL. How disappointing! So we didn't take many photos except in extra special places, like Kek Lok Si temple.

Btw, I just want to mention here how ridiculously expensive the taxis are in Penang. They all have a pact with each other to rip out their meters and just charge their own rates, which I think have been agreed upon with each other. Which makes it more freaking expensive than taxis in KL. My dad says it's because Penang is so small that they don't make any money dropping someone 10 minutes away, compared to taxis in KL. Still, for this reason, we ended up walking a lot more and visiting little shops and cemeteries along the way.

We did have the assistance of my spritely old grandmother who whizzed in and out of traffic in her 25-year old car to bring us places like Kek Lok Si and hawker food. And when Mumsy Bumsy and Yelleh Belleh arrived a few days later, we had the car, but we still hardly went out because Mumsy Bumsy was looking for a relaxing waterside weekend.

Here are the photos, then, from Kek Lok Si (Temple of Supreme Bliss). It consists of a series of monasteries, prayer halls, temples and landscaped gardens. I only took exterior shots though.


It was a really, really hot day and I was SO glad I wore a sundress that day.


Looking out at the view over Penang island.


My grandmother and I.


This woman is almost 80 years old, can you believe it??!!


There is an inclined lift to bring us up from the lower temple floors to the towering 6-storey (my estimation) statue of the Goddess of Mercy, Kuan Yin.


View from the temple.


We spent ages staring at the giant and multiple koi in the pond. It was really calming and very cool to notice the ghost koi swimming by as well.

Any visitor to Malaysia should definitely visit Penang and this temple. It's really more impressive than I thought.

End Penang post :D

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

u look really good in these pics

frachely said...

what!!!!!!!!
ur grandma looks like she's in her 60s!!(I know I'm bad at telling age but this is too much!!) Do ask for anti-aging tips from her (on my behalf) pls kthxbai

Bea said...

Love that dress, and your grandma looks very good for her age!! Glad you had a good time back in m'sia.