Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bruxelles 2012 - the arty city

I just really like Brussels. I wouldn't live there and I wouldn't go there every weekend, but as a city, it's definitely a place I would recommend to people.

There are so many things to discover if you're into the arts and creative scene. I didn't make it into any cultural venue or museum this trip, but I saw a lot of shops, and boy were they nice shops.

Almost all bookshops had old, secondhand arty books, almost all comic stores had anything you would want to find. Almost all music shops were vintage and collector's, and the variety of everything a hipster would want is staggering.

I even bought two piano books, even though I don't have a piano. Yet.


After buying my piano books.


Art landscaping in front of the Royal Library.


 



Saved from financial ruin by all the books being in French.



Cappuccino with Belgian chocolate powder on top. Luxurious! But not that tasty, actually.


Grand Place.





Nativity scene under the thatched roof left over from Christmas.


This is a community service message: Don't buy waffles from this shop. They're mushy and don't represent the opinions of Belgian waffles nationwide.



I wanted to buy these cushion stools but there was no price attached. After browsing the shop and seeing the prices of salt and pepper shakers (averaging € 60/pair), I decided that my purse wouldn't like me very much if I bought them. Super cute though.


This shop is located in the gay quarter of Brussels and I'm absolutely convinced to be targeted only at gays. Because straight singles and couples in general just can't afford these things for their homes. Somehow, gays always have the best stuff in their homes, doncha think??


Nice girl with nice eyes makes nice earrings which Yelleh Belleh bought.


Yet another bookstore. I just can't get enough.








Super beautiful Christmas nature decorations. I wanted to decorate my place nature-style for Christmas 2011, but I just couldn't find enough. It doesn't seem very popular to have nature-style decor :s :s


Nice, bright mustard door in the middle of the ghetto.


Famous Marché aux Puces flea market, open daily from 6am to 2pm.


Yelleh Belleh bargaining with an Arabic Dude:

YB: How much is this?
AD: Ten euro.
YB: That's too expensive, can you make it cheaper?
AD: Uh. How much you want?
YB: Uh, seven euro?
AD: Uh... (calls over Arabic Dude 2 and discusses)... (turns back to YB)... eight euro.
YB: Uh, that's too expensive. Never mind, I don't want it.
(After standing still for 5 seconds)
AD: Five euro.
YB: Oh. Okay.


Yelleh Belleh's shoulder hurt from the heavy backpack.


View while I was waiting for her to finish putting muscle gel on.


Buying last minute beer at De Bier Tempel just off Grand Place. Tourist prices, so don't go there if you want to get Belgian beer at normal prices. We were just in a rush as we had a train to catch. After paying for the beer, we actually had 7 minutes to run to the train station, with our heavy backpacks and 6 bottles of beer in plastic bags. We arrived on the platform panting and cramping just as the train pulled in. Talk about cutting it close!

Good trip overall and nice to see Brussels again :)

No comments: