Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Schrobbenmaster's birthday!!

Last Sunday was Schrobbenmaster's birthday, and although we had to work all night on Saturday and had to stay the night in Amersfoort for the festival we were working at, we ended up having fun that night with our colleagues.

It was the last night of the festival in Amersfoort, so everyone wanted to unwind and have fun, but the only place nearby was a 'bruincafe', a very Dutch pub/bar where they play crappy Dutch folk music and have live lounge singers (I'm no stranger to that one, growing up with a dad who likes that sorta thing).

Our colleagues had secretly compiled a box of 'goodies' at the last minute, consisting of the sponsored stuff we got from the festival. And at my recommendation, they included an Apple store voucher for € 30. Endearingly, one of the women used Microsoft Word to create a fake voucher until they got a real one. I thought about saying that I could use Illustrator to create something nice, but decided that it would be even cuter if they actually worked at making something in Word. Haha.


That's the Microsoft Word-made voucher under there.


The night before, someone had found a small bag of weed at the station. And we now miraculously found it in one of the goodie bags for Schrobbenmaster, planted there by the boss. It wasn't good weed though, according to Schrobbenmaster, so he let the others have their fun with it.


All our colleagues were already really smashed even before the bruincafe, having started drinking wine before leaving the station. They were creating havoc in the little bar. Really funny watching them!


It was a little annoying that they still allowed smoking in that bar, so for the second night in a row, I smelt like smoke (I had gone clubbing the night before in Rotterdam). I haven't smelt like smoke so consistently since I left KL.

The next day, Schrobbenmaster's actual birthday, we drove back to Rotterdam then got ready to head out to enjoy the unusually extremely comfortable weather. Felt just like summer again!


Of course, we headed to Bagels n Beans. Where I overheard the waitress telling a customer that it was her last work day there, before she heads over to Asia for 5 weeks and then on to Australia for 8 months for a working holiday. Then she said she would be going via Kuala Lumpur, and the customer said, "Kuala Lumpur is heel leuk!", meaning that it's really nice there. And then someone else walked by and agreed with her that it is "heel leuk".

After hearing that, I just couldn't contain my pleasure, and I went "I'M from Kuala Lumpur!" and the customer said that she likes the twin towers etc etc etc. And I was feeling so proud that people would say that my city is such a nice city even when they didn't know there was a Malaysian nearby. Nice!!!


After that, we went to Selexyz to look for a Moleskine for me. And that's where we bumped into Hanselm (*not his real name). I invited him for a drink with us and we walked to Cafe Stalles on the Nieuwe Binnenweg, where we had ice tea. Ice tea in autumn! Amazing.


Sucks that this is the only picture of me, which is from the waist up cuz I totally dug my whole outfit that day.


Me and Hanselm (*not his real name).

That night, we met up with a couple more friends for drinks nearby at Level.


Looks like a happy, cosy time, but two of those 5 drinks you see are actually mocktails! Boooooo...


Mai Tai and a Chocolate Martini. Harry insisted that Mai Tai is also one of the most lethal martial arts from Thailand *ahem*.


Interior of Level. Yes, Prison Break guy was there that night, but he was behind the bar and we got a very slow but okay-friendly waitress.


Looking quite cosmopolitan here! It's nice to not always have pictures of only one of us at a time ;)


Joel and Harry. Mocktail drinkers.


Harry left earlier, so it was just four of us by the end of the night. Again no picture of my whole outfit (although it was slightly different, waist down, from the daytime one).

It was a good ending to a good birthday, with friends and excellent weather. What more could Schrobbenmaster ask for...?


... Oh yes, of course, my presents to him! He's been looking for a sugar pot for a long time, and the milk jug came with it, okay, so don't go teasing me for giving such a domestic present. Included in the package were also boxers and socks from Paris.

Hope you had a wonderful time on your birthday this year, Schrobbenmaster! xoxo!

5 comments:

Rik van der Kroon said...

Thank u and it sure was an awesome birthday. U made it special.

Lots of love frm me :)!

Melissa Chan said...

Cat, your blue top is lovely. And happy belated birthday to Rik!

frachely said...

Happy belated birthday Rik!

Hey Cat u look really nice in the cosmopolitan photo!!

elleLee said...

I miss Bagels & Beans! The salmon, the coffee. I haven't drunk coffee since NL. Cellulite paranoia.

Being Msian and all, seeing a random packet of weed on the table was a bit whoa for me. Do you know if dad smokes or has smoked weed? A few things he's said leads me to believe...

shoobaba said...

Thanks for the compliments, girls!

elle:
I didn't know coffee gives cellulite?! Gawd...
I'm sure dad has smoked weed. After all he was the "leader of the gang", right?
Why is he talking about weed anyway?