Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Renaissance of Catherine the Great

I just had a renaissance (ie. enlightenment) when I was driving earlier.

I saw an elderly Chinese man struggling to pull some really heavy things on a wheelbarrow at the side of the road. He was incredibly tanned and he looked like he was really struggling, poor man. I got to thinking, "I wish I could help him - but how can I help him? Thank God I have this life where I'm so blessed and comfortable and the only thing I have to worry about is getting my degree, and saving up money to go travelling around Europe..."

Then I thought about all the blessings I have - I have all my physical capabilities, I have money, I have talents, skills and knowledge... but what am I using them for? I'm using just enough of it to get by and I'm not helping anyone who's less gifted than I am. I feel useless all of a sudden. And suddenly I wish I had ambition.

No comments: