Friday, January 17, 2014

Watching An Unexpected Journey the second time

My mum is one of the few who haven't watched all The Hobbit films (yet).

So when I came to stay with her, I made sure she had the DVD for An Unexpected Journey (2012) and settled down to watch it with her. We had to split the film into two because of its length, but we finally finished the second leg last night.

And I must say, I liked it better the second time round.

The first time, I had watched it in an amazing cinema hall in 3D HFR (High Frame Rate) on the wishes of R. At the time, I thought, "Wow, cool, new technology, should be fantastic!". And then I saw it, and it looked so strange and "puppet"y. So I was thrown off by the strange look of it and didn't pay much attention to the storyline and script.

Watching it again on DVD (couldn't be poles apart, really, the DVD quality and my mum's speakers are so bad that I had to repeat some lines to her so she would get the story), I could at least enjoy the acting and the story better. And I surely did.

I was so impressed with Gollum, even the first time I saw it in the cinema. Just the way he made you hate him and yet love him at the same time. That is absolutely amazing. Really, kudos to Peter Jackson and the Gollum team.

My favourite line in the film has to be from Gandalf in reply to Galadriel's question, "Why the halfling?":

Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? I don't know. Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage.

And in half an hour, you see his "small act of kindness" that eventually saves Middle Earth, although that scene is a lot more powerful when you look at it with hindsight.

Bilbo Baggins also gives me courage. Seeing his innocent and courageous nature pull through no matter what situation makes me realise that you are never too small to handle anything.

I just love how inspirational this story is!

And the music! Really, really good, as usual. I'm so in love with the Misty Mountains song that the dwarves sing in Bilbo's house. And that it was turned into a proper track for the end credits is super sweet. I'm going to have it on repeat for the rest of the week now!

If you have Spotify, treat yourself here: Neil Finn – Song Of The Lonely Mountain

No comments: